I must admit, when I first heard the cb5 Restaurant Group would be opening China White in Purchase, I was pretty excited — and not just because it’s nother pre-theater option for the Purchase Performing Arts Center.
China White is the group’s first restaurant in Westchester, but if owner Jody Pennette’s take on Chinese is anything like his take on Mexican over at Lolita in Byram, we are in for a real treat.
Owner Jody Pennette, left, and manager Rob Moss. All photos by Mark Vergari/TJN.
Pennette and his group are describing China White as “sleek, modern and sophisticated,” but my bet is that it will be fun, bustling and convivial, too.
“Think ‘dumpling noodle house’ meets ‘Chinatown street vendor’, prepared by Hong Kong cooks,” says the press release, except here, you’ll find natural chicken, local pork, grass-fed beef, organic tofu and wild-caught fish. The eggs are cage-free and the vegetables are organic. (And yes, there are gluten- and wheat-free noodles, too.)
Chef Joe’s Spicy Dragon Chicken, with red chile and sugar peas.
There are communal tables and counter seating — for more of that buzz and energy — and there are Asian beers, sake and house-made sodas.
As for the menu, I have it — and some of the specialties — after the jump.
Here’s a look at the menu: China White Menu
- Vegetable spring rolls with chile five spice dipping sauce
- Laughing shrimp made with rice wine, ginger, garlic, and chile pepper, in crisp lettuce cups
- Steamed or fried dumplings filled with edamame and shrimp, ginger pork, Szechuan beef, scallion chicken, or crispy vegetables
- Organic wheat bao bao buns stuffed with Chinatown roast pork or BBQ beef.
- Rice vermicelli with golden curry and crushed peanuts
- Glass noodles with wild mushrooms
- Chow fun with five spice chili basil
- Organic wheat lo mein with sesame ginger sauce
- Crispy whole fish with ginger chile sauce
- Wok seared prawns with spinach and black bean sauce,
- Chinatown roast chicken
- Crispy Peking duck with black vinegar sauce
Here are a few photos that Mark took at the restaurant earlier this month.
Shanghai noodles, served cool, with peanut sauce and cucumber:
Bao Bao Buns with Chinatown Roast Pork and pickled cucumber and daikon:
White Salad, pear, tofu, cashew, choy and sherry vinaigrette:
The dining room:
cb5 Restaurant Group also owns Red Lulu in South Norwalk and Gabriele’s Italian Steakhouse in Greenwich. Another China White is also opening in Greenwich.
The 411 is coming. Til then: 578 Anderson Hill Road, Purchase. 914-437-9700; or 9701 for takeout. chinawhiteusa.com.